Welcome to the Office for the Missions, San Diego Diocese, where we promote and organize Missionary Childhood Association, Missionary Cooperation Plan, Mission Sunday, Mass Cards and Mass intentions that supply stipends for Priests here and in mission countries, Planned Giving opportunities, Monthly and Membership donors, and Bequests. We welcome visiting missionaries and help guide people who feel a call to Mission.
We are committed to creating an awareness of and promoting the support of World Mission within the communities of the Diocese of San Diego. Through Missionary Appeals, education programs, immersion programs and publicity in the diocesan newspaper, we endeavor to bring missionary work and needs to the attention of parishioners in parishes and youth in schools and religious education programs.
The Office for the Missions is the primary vehicle for the financial support of the Worldwide Mission of the Church through the Propagation of the Faith, Missionary Childhood Association and the Society for Peter the Apostle.
The activities of the Pontifical Mission Societies are carried out in the Diocese of San Diego through the Office for the Missions, and assists Catholics in San Diego to deepen their baptismal commitment in fulfilling their missionary responsibility. The Office for the Missions extends the care of the Diocese of San Diego to dioceses, communities and individuals serving the Church in mission lands by:
- Providing direction and help to lay missionaries;
- Soliciting funds for the work of the Pontifical Mission Societies and missionaries – clergy, religious and lay;
- Facilitating the celebration of World Mission Sunday in October of each year;
- Coordinating the Missionary Cooperation Plan, which enables missionaries to share their experiences directly with parishioners during the Sunday Liturgy;
- Assisting those who choose to make periodic or monthly donations to support missionary work;
- Confirming the worthiness of charities for those who wish to designate a gift to a specific missionary project or community;
- Through the Missionary Childhood Association, invite young people to pray and to offer financial help so that children in the Missions today may know Christ and experience His love and care;
- Visiting mission countries to learn first-hand the special needs of missionaries and the people;
- Offering information and assisting those who wish to make a Bequest that supports missionary work.